Every year, the Palms Neighborhood Council provides grants to community organizations for neighborhood projects. The PNC is now accepting applications for grants! We will provide up to $3,000 to any public school or 501(c)3 nonprofit organization for projects that serve a non-discriminatory, public purpose and benefit the public at-large in Palms. Projects may encompass a wide range and can include, but are not limited to:
- The Arts
- Community Support
- Community Improvements
Please download the application, fill it out, and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6pm on Friday April 26, 2013. You can also drop off the completed application to Jason Buchalter (Treasurer) at Charnock Road School, 11133 Charnock Road, Los Angeles, 90034. As part of your application, you must be able to provide evidence of your tax deductible status as well as a Los Angeles Business Tax Registration Certificate (BTRC). For more detailed information about the Neighborhood Purpose Grant process and the evaluation criteria the PNC will use, please review this applicant packet.
Applications will be reviewed by the PNC Budget Ad Hoc Committee on Saturday April 27 at 5pm at Fire Station #43 (3690 Motor Avenue) and a final decision to fund grants will be made by the full PNC General Assembly on Wednesday May 1, 2013, 7pm at the IMAN Center (3376 Motor Avenue).
The following local businesses and organization are offering discounts during CicLAvia on Sunday:
10939 Venice Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90034- Open at 12 noon until 2 a.m.
Bigfoot West will be offering:
- $5 happy hour drinks from 12-9 pm (consists of 7 different drink options.)
- $5 non-alcoholic cocktail called “The Tired Peach,” which consists of muddled fresh peach, fresh lemon and house made simple syrup.
- $5 House made ginger beer (non-alcoholic).
They will also have a Taco Cart with a variety of tacos for $1 from 12:00p.m-4:00p.m.
Oldfield’s Liquor Room
10899 Venice Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90034-Open at 12 noon
Oldfield’s Liquor Room will be offering:
- $7 signature cocktails available plus a daily special for the same.
- $5 wine, beer, and Irish whiskey.
- Also available a barrage of non-alcoholic cocktails and fresh juices.
There will also be a DJ spinning vinyl and tacos for $1 from 12:00p.m-4:00p.m.
Culver Palms Church of Christ
9733 Venice Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90034
Stop by and visit the Culver Palms Church of Christ and enjoy tacos, free water and popcorn. A canopy with tables and chairs will also be available to sit, rest and watch CicLAvia as it passes through Palms. Everyone is welcome.
The Palms Neighborhood Council is recruiting new members! Are you interested in improving your community? Want to advise the City Council of Los Angeles? Then submit your application to join the Palms NC as a Board member.
The two open positions are Residential Representative Area A (Palms West) and Business Representative Area 1 (Pacific Electric). These positions represent the residential and business interests in their area, respectively, and therefore an eligible stakeholder must show a connection or commitment to represent interests in these areas.
To apply, please email email@example.com with your name, contact information (including address), eligibility, availability, a brief statement of interest in joining the PNC, and a resume. Please submit this by April 25th. The President appoints new members, with approval of the PNC General Assembly.
The Palms Neighborhood Council is in full support of CicLAvia which will be going thru Palms on Sunday, April 21 from 10AM-3PM. Venice boulevard going West from Downtown Los Angeles to Venice Beach will be closed to automotive traffic which means it will be open to pedestrians and bicyclists! As part of this grand event, the PNC encourages all businesses in Palms to offer discounts / sales / special offers during the event and get even more folks to enjoy and discover what Palms has to offer. The PNC is also going to actively promote those businesses who do FOR FREE! Submissions are welcome to secretary@ palmsla.org until the event despite the April 10 deadline, see details in link below:
For more information on CicLAvia please visit the CicLAvia website.
Like us on Facebook & Follow us on twitter: @PalmsNC
Work on the Venice Boulevard Bridge begins this month. The Venice Boulevard Bridge will connect Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the Expo Light Rail Line. Construction will last approximately 9 months.
There will be intermittent partial and full closures necessary for the construction of the bridge, including columns on Robertson Blvd and in the median at Venice Blvd. Expect and plan for lane reductions along Venice Blvd and Robertson Blvd as construction of the Venice Boulevard Bridge begins.
Visit www.expovenice.org for up-to-date information on street closures.
The PNC General Assembly met on March 6 with many great updates on the work the PNC is doing for the community (agenda). We passed motions on the Bike Rodeo and CycLAvia as well as reports from the Ad Hoc Elections Committee.
The PNC General Assembly will also meet on March 28th for a Special Meeting – 6pm at the IMAN Center, 3376 Motor Avenue. Download the agenda.
Other Palms NC meetings this month (check out our calendar):
- Coffee with the Council – an informal, open forum to meet with the Council. Coffee provided free of charge to interested stakeholders! Tuesday, March 12, 11am-1pm, Cafe Brasil, 10831 Venice Blvd
- Projects & Policy Committee – discuss policy issues coming before City Council and projects to work on in Palms including digital billboards and banning high capacity gun magazines. Tuesday March 12, 7pm, Fire Station, 3690 Motor Avenue. Download the agenda.
- Green Committee - promote environmentally sustainable practices and awareness in Palms, Wednesday March 13, 7pm, Fire Station, 3690 Motor Avenue. Download the agenda.
- Palms Clean Up – beautify the neighborhood and outreach to the community through volunteer service – Saturday March 16, 10am-12pm; meet at Fire Station, 3690 Motor Avenue
- Outreach Committee - get out the message to everyone who lives, works, or plays in Palms about what the Neighborhood Council is doing – Wednesday, March 20, 7pm at IMAN Center, 3376 Motor Avenue. Download the Agenda.
- Transportation & Safety Committee - transportation and safety issues for the neighborhood, including streets, parking, traffic signals, signs, and pedestrian and bicycle amenities – Monday March 25, 7pm at Fire Station, 3690 Motor Avenue. Download the agenda.
Hamilton High School – a shared resource of the Palms Neighborhood Council & the SORO NC – is hosting a Goodwill Donation Drive Fundraiser for the senior class of 2013. Drop off your gently used clothing, accessories, electronics, household items, books, DVD’s, videos and more (click here for a list of acceptable items). Hamilton is generally open from 6:30am- 8pm, so you can drop these items off in the boxes located by the security desk in the main building.
Please find enclosed our supplemental construction notice regarding the temporary night closure of National Boulevard between Manning Avenue and Exposition Boulevard for falsework installation for the National/Palms Bridge in the City of Los Angeles.
What: Full Closure of National Boulevard for Falsework Installation for Bridge Construction
When: Monday, February 11, 2013 through Friday, February 22, 2013
Work Hours: 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. Monday through Friday (Night work only)
Where: Construction activities will be located on National Boulevard north of the intersection of National/Palms Boulevards
Construction crews will erect falsework using timber and steel forms as a mold for the cast-in-place concrete bridge that will span over National Boulevard.
- National Boulevard will be closed to all traffic between Manning Avenue and Exposition Boulevard throughout the falsework installation during nighttime hours.
- Westbound National Boulevard traffic will be detoured at Bagley Avenue.
- Northbound Palms Boulevard traffic will be detoured at Exposition Boulevard.
- All traffic lanes will be open to through traffic during daytime hours.
- Electronic message boards will be used to advise of the closures and manage traffic detours to update commuters as necessary.
- Directional signage and/or flagmen will be used to safely direct vehicles and pedestrians around the construction zone.
- Parking restrictions will be strictly enforced at all times and signage with specific restrictions will be in place in all construction areas.
- Local access to businesses and residences will be maintained throughout all construction activities.
- Noise levels will be monitored to ensure work performed is within the necessary compliance levels.
- Please obey all posted construction signs and do not enter the construction work zone.
We know it’s not always easy to attend our monthly meetings, so starting this month on Tuesday, February 12, 2013, from 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m., at Cafe Brasil, 10831 Venice Blvd., the Palms Neighborhood Council will be hosting “Coffee with the Council” every 2nd Tuesday and 4th Thursday of each month at local coffee shops here in Palms. Come share your thoughts, concerns and ideas over a cup of coffee! Did we forget to mention…The coffee is on US! Email us at Neal@palmsla.org to let us know if you’ll be stopping by.
Assemblymember Holly Mitchell’s 3rd Annual Budget Town Hall will be held on Saturday, February 2, 2013 at the Iman Cultural Center located at 3376 Motor Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90034from 10am to 12pm. The budget town hall is one of the most important events hosted by the Assemblywoman and will include updates on what is in the Governor’s budget and what it all means. This is a great way to learn about state policy, network with other engaged constituents and put your thoughts and concerns on record.
Day of Event – Saturday, February 2nd:
- Sign-In/Registration 9:30am to 10:00am
- Welcoming and Ushering 9:30am to 10:00am
Download the flyer here.