A Community Living Room for Palms
NEW!! Here are the proposed drawings and plans for the new Woodbine Park playground. It is made out of eco-friendly materials and has a natural theme – complete with canopies to protect against the sun and lots of places for children to play.
Woodbine Park, about an acre in size, is the only park option for 4,000 kids and young adults who live in Palms. The Palms NC believes this is a vital resource and we’re leading an effort to improve Woodbine Park by building a “Community Living Room for Palms”.
As Palms’ only park, Woodbine is a valuable resource for our neighborhood children, teens and adults. Woodbine, however, has become outdated and neighborhood stakeholders are looking for a park with updated amenities and scenery. The PNC believes that Woodbine would meet the neighborhood’s needs if facilities were modernized.
The PNC are leading a community-wide effort to modernize Woodbine Park. We held a picnic and meeting in the Park to discuss this plan – read more about it here and on August 15, the PNC Land Use & Planning Committee held a stakeholders meeting – read all about it here.
3-D Model of Architect’s Drawing of Woodbine Park Modernization (Based on Community Input)
The PNC is taking three steps to modernize Woodbine park:
- Solicit Stakeholders to Participate in the Park Renewal
- The PNC has received an overwhelming stakeholder feedback from our monthly newsletter, postings at Woodbine Park asking for community comment, council meetings and more. Some of the stakeholder ideas are listed below. Click here for full survey results.
- Coordinate Stakeholders
- On August 15, the Chair of the PNC Land Use and Planning Committee Niall MacMenamin held a stakeholders meeting. Click here for the minutes and summary of the meeting.
- Communicate Woodbine Modernization to Stakeholders.
- Updated basketball court
- Modernized playground equipment to suit children spanning many ages. Scroll down for examples.
- Lights and safety to reduce crime and homeless use of park
- Improve accessibility (e.g., add crosswalk on Palms near Jasmine)
- Make landscaping more memorable (e.g., fruit trees, etc)
- Pavilion with tables, benches and modern amenities to facilitate meetings (e.g., for music, audio visual)
- Kiosk in the park to advertise the PNC and other neighborhood events
- Water fountain for kids to play
- Solar panels
Current Woodbine Park Site Map (click image to enlarge)