On Sunday October 28, 2012, the Palms Neighborhood will hold a general election for open Board seats – and we want you to step up now and lead this community!
These are the open board seats for Palms NC in 2012:
- President (Term: 2 years)
- Secretary (Term: 2 years)
- Residential Representative, Area A (Term: 2 years)
- Residential Representative, Area C (Term: 2 years)
- Residential Representative, Area E (Term: 2 years)
- Business Representative, Area 2 (Term: 2 years)
You might ask, why should I run?
Here are a few reasons:
- Work on positive changes in your neighborhood
- Help shape the future of Palms
- Give back and represent your community
- Work with local government to make it more responsive
- Pursue your interests to beautify the neighborhood, create new community projects & traditions, and organize community events
So, you might ask, who qualifies to run?
- Any stakeholder 18 years or older who lives, works, owns property or declares a stake in the PNC and affirms the factual basis for it, and
- any qualified candidate who files a timely application!
What are the responsibility of a Board member?
- Represent local needs to elected officials
- Weigh in on important decisions that affect the neighborhood, liking local planning
- Participate in a monthly Board meeting on the 1st Wednesday of every month and one committee of your choosing (all meetings are held locally in the evening)
- Decide on how to spend the Council’s annual allocation of City funds
- Help outreach to the community
What skills would be helpful?
We hope all qualified candidates who decide to run are enthusiastic, dedicated, hands-on, and committed to the community. As a volunteer board (we do not get paid!), your skills can really help make the PNC a success. These include:
- Web development and design
- Film or photo expert
- Accounting experience
- Event planning
- Land use, transportation, and emergency planning
How can I file?
The last day to file is September 28th, so apply today – fill out online the application, or download the pdf form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org OR fax to (818) 582-2849 OR mail it to:
Department of Neighborhood Empowerment – Elections Division
14410 Sylvan Street, 4th FL
Van Nuys, CA 91401
Want to get involved but don’t want to run? Be a polling place volunteer!
This year neighborhood councils have taken back their own elections. EmpowerLA’s Election Division will provide a Poll Manager and an Assistant Poll Manger. All of the other poll workers will be neighborhood council volunteers.
You can work in your own council’s election if you are not a candidate. You can volunteer in a nearby council. Click here to volunteer as a poll worker.